What health visitors can help with
Whether it's at a home visit, over the phone or at a baby clinic, our health visitors can offer advice on:
- post-natal depression
- emotional support
- your child’s growth and development
- feeding your baby, including breast feeding and introducing solids.
- healthy eating and exercise
- staying safe and preventing accidents
- behaviour difficulties (including sleeping, eating, potty training and teething)
- some medication prescriptions
- common infections and skin problems in childhood
- support for children with special educational needs and disabilities
- domestic abuse.
There's self-help information available online at the HCT website too.
Chathealth 0-5 text messaging service for parents and carers of 0-5 year olds
Get advice from our Health Visiting Team via the award-winning text messaging service for parents and carers of babies and children aged 0-5 yrs. All you need to do is text us on 07480 635164. The service is available Mon-Fri 9-5pm.
We can support you with a range of topics such as:
- Child development
- Parenting advice and support
- Child health/safety
- Emotional health and wellbeing
This is not an emergency service. For urgent medical attention please contact your GP, NHS 111 or call 999.
Baby and toddler health clinics during Covid
We've launched a new way of working which is currently replacing the drop in-Baby and Toddler Health Clinics:
- Parents can speak to a Health Visitor on 0300 123 7572 between 9am - 5pm, Monday-Friday. Our experienced team are on duty to answer your questions and concerns and will assess the needs of your young person and those of your family by phone / virtual platforms (WhatsApp video/Attend Anywhere) or face-to-face, where there is a specific need to do so.
- Growth monitoring (weighing your baby) and health advice is available at specific ages/stages across Family Centres and community venues (please see information below). Where there are identified growth concerns these will be managed on an individual basis and according to your child’s needs. Please ring 0300 123 7572 to book an appointment with your Health Visitor.
- Parents have access to support with any feeding issues via their Health Visitor and by calling 0300 123 7572. More complex feeding issues will be referred to our specialist breastfeeding clinics and we also provide a breast pump loan service where needed.